About Me

Yoga With Style
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hugging Trees

We have these huge amazing white oak trees scattered about our property.  Not in very ideal locations in terms of worrying about them landing on the house or garage in a major storm, but they are majestic and beautiful.  Starting late August, it begins to rain acorns - literally....to the point where, my children have to play in areas where they are not, or they will be pelted with acorns when the wind blows.  And, having had it happen to me, it really hurts!  My Mom says, you should rename your home "Acorn Hill" - (I guess it's chic to have a namesake for your land/home...but I don't think that's really me (or my husband).  My husband has begun to loathe the acorns, and the "squiggly things" that fall like helicopters in the spring - almost like hairy caterpillars....the clean up is done by the landscapers, but it is pretty messy in between clean-ups.  My grandfather, George F. Mason, who was a curator, painter and a naturalist, would love it here.  I sat today (a rare moment to even sit with two little ones), while eating lunch, and watched the flurry of chipmunks going in and out of holes and darting around, chasing each other.  We have a circus of little critters this fall.  Then I thought "how peaceful this is"....I am not on my phone, not reading, not checking emails, not looking at the mail, I am just sitting, I am being silent, and enjoying the trees and the animals.  Kind of corny.  But for those few minutes it was nice to just sit (and not rush my food down to get the kids out the door to the next activity).  My husband wants to cut a few of the oaks down (one of them is frightfully close to the house and garage, the biggest actually) but I keep diverting him from the idea as these trees are so old and wise, they were here long before us, long before the house, and if taken care of, they will be here long after we're gone (sans any Hurricanes, bite my tongue)
The practice of meditation and yoga can be further enhanced by the wonder and enjoyment of nature.  How many of you practice yoga or meditate outdoors?  I'd love to hear about it if you do. 
Today, I really felt good after coming home from vinyasa, sitting, having lunch, and being at peace for just a while, gazing outside.  The simple moment of just being is what it's all about isn't it? 
Next month, we will be offering inspiring tops from Tees for Change.  This company is all about nuturing the environment and being eco-friendly.  Currently, if you sign up for our mailing list, you can be automatically entered into our monthly giveaway for one of their amazing tank tops.  There is a new winner every month, so be sure to get on the list!  All the tops from Tees for are fair trade and made under sweatshop-free conditions from 100% organic cotton or a blend of 70% bamboo/30% organic cotton. The cotton is cultivated without the use of pesticides and chemical fertilizers, which is good for the environment and for the workers who grow and manufacture the shirts. Naturally sustainable bamboo is fast-growing and, because of its natural antibacterial properties, it needs no pesticides and is 100% biodegradable.  AND for every tee they plant a tree.....in connection with Trees for the Future the company plants trees in Asia, Latin America and Africa (their last tree planting helped plant over 5000 trees in Cameroon and they have planted over 10,000 trees since the company began in 2007).  By carrying their line, I am happy my site supports such an important cause.  And hopefully, personally, I can spare my white oaks for a while!

0 comments: