About Me

Yoga With Style
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Talisman

Do you have a special talisman?  A charm? Something special you keep close in your wallet, purse, pocket.  Something you turn to when stressed (I think of the stress balls out there - pretty funny those stretchy gooey like ball that you squeeze...a fad)....But really, my Mom's generation had a lucky rabbits foot (real of course...now PETA would beat down our doors, thank God those are no longer prevalent - no hurting any bunnies please!!)  I carry my childrens photos with me.  The other day my daughter and I were in a metaphysical store with lots of amazing crystals and things to look at - I love visiting stores like this and my daughter loves rocks....the owner of the store gave her a smooth amethyst stone and told her about it's properties.  She kept it in her pocket for the rest of the day and it turned into her version of "the pet rock" (remember those?? we all had one...I glued eyes on mine too).  So in these days of uncertainty, economic woes and troubles all around, I have found more and more friends having something special they keep close at hand and they sort of look at it, hold it, fiddle with it in their pocket like loose change, and it serves as a calming grounding reminder of happiness and things are ok...My grandfather had a huge machine that tumbled natural stones.  He tumbled river rocks and anything that looked interesting until it was smooth as marble and cool to touch.  My daugher has a treasure box (literally a red plastic treasure box) full of his tumbled stones...so into the box went the amethyst pet rock of the day....a nice collection.  If you are in search of your own talisman and love all things yogi-inspired, check out our peace stone, or our buddha.  There is also an OM.  Each of these have meaning behind them.  On a particularly rough day, these stones can be used as part of something to hold onto while meditating as well as part of mantra or chanting.  Or...just part of the loose change in your pocket.  It might just bring a smile to your face.

0 comments: