About Me

Yoga With Style
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, October 31, 2010

Yoga Life Port Washington


Here at Yoga With Style we have had fun each month visiting local studios and featuring them here on our site.  We love meeting instructors and hearing about their take on yoga, their style, and giving us some insights to share with our customers and the yoga community.

This month, I had the opportunity to sit down and meet with yoga studio owner and instructor Joanne Hsieh Kane.  Joanne and her husband Drew (also an instructor) together with partners Dena Vigilis and Shari Thompson, own and operate Yoga Life Port Washington.  It was really nice to visit their studio which I found to be a calm, clean, simple and welcoming place – just what we like!  

The studio vibe is definitely reflective of Joanne as upon first meeting her, I felt like I had known her for years, an old friend that I felt completely at ease with.  So many yoga instructors we meet here at Yoga With Style inspire us, and when you meet them, they have a light about them, an aura.  You cannot quite put your finger on it, but they always make you feel like you have their full attention, and you know that they “get it” and it always makes me, personally feel calm and wish I could capture that same energy in my own life.  That is, in my opinion, the sign of a true yogi – someone who reflects this outward love of life and gentle light around them.  That, to me, is Joanne.

Here are some highlights of things I chatted about with Joanne about her life as a yoga instructor, mom and studio owner:
YWS: Tell me about a time that a student inspired you (or made you laugh):
J: There isn’t only one time that a student has inspired me.  Every day, I am inspired by those that come to their mat.  Yoga is a daily practice that requires one to show up regardless of what is going on.  Commitment, Consistency, and Dedication are inspirations that I take from the students.

YWS: What is your favorite pose/asana and why?   
J: Sukhasana (steady seat) is my favorite pose because it allows me to feel grounded, centered and still in my mind!  And of course, Savasana!  I love the space that you find after a strong practice- it feels like an out of body experience!!
YWS: Who inspires you every day and why?
J: My kids inspire me every day.  They have taught me over and over again that life is constantly changing and to remain humble through it all.

YWS: What is the most important thing a new yoga instructor (or maybe
someone who is thinking about becoming an instructor) should know? 
J:  Don’t be a yoga teacher if you think you will make a million bucks!
YWS: What are some ways you find the time for your own personal practice (i.e. many
instructors get so busy that they lose their own "me" time)?
J:  I spend a lot of time in my car and turning off the radio and driving in silence has helped me create “me” time.    I find little pockets of time to get to my mat or to take a ballet class (most of the time when I know my husband will be home for the kids).

YWS: How do you instill some of the principles of being a yoga instructor in your children?  
J: Having compassion, consideration, and respect for others (how would it feel to be somebody else?) as well as your own self-respect.  If we don’t have it for ourselves, how can we expect to have it for others??

You can visit Yoga Port Washington online at http://www.yogalifepw.com/  The studio is at 927 Port Washington Boulevard in Port Washington, New York.  Read more about Joanne and her instructors online – we hope you will take a visit there and experience all that Yoga Life Port Washington has to offer.  Thanks for my visit Joanne!

0 comments: