About Me

Yoga With Style
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, September 18, 2010

Breathe.......Just Breathe

I was reading the Daily Insight posted on www.yogajournal.com this morning as I am always learning new ways (or improving upon old ways) of stress reduction as an integral part of my yoga practice.  The journal states:  "In the yogic practice of breath control (or pranayama), the exhale has a special function. While the inhale is stimulating, the exhale is relaxing. While the inhale is about bringing energy into the body, the exhale is about releasing stress, toxins, and pain.  Because of this, you can use conscious breathing as a break in your day. By focusing on your exhale, you can let go of the past and come into the present with a renewed commitment."    The tip for the day goes on further:  http://www.yogajournal.com/dailyinsight/yjnl_20100918.html?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=site&utm_campaign=dailyinsight, but this struck a cord with me as I use the practice of pranayama daily.   After a winter hip injury this year and not being able to sit with my legs crossed, I focused on my pranayama, and learned how to meditate.  It really made a difference in my day and also in my evening.  At night when my daughter tossed and turned to go to sleep, I would sit by her bedside, close my eyes and meditate - the calmness filled the room and soon enough, sleep came.   Because sitting cross-legged was painful, I took the time to find a neutral position of my spine for the optimum flow of energy, (called Kundalini), to take place. This neutral position, I learned,  is most advisable when meditating.  So we all have our limitations, we are all in some stages or levels of practice and we all come to yoga class with different "stuff".....but if we focus on pranayama.....the stuff gets quieter and quieter.....try it, you'll see.  Through www.yogawithstyle.com, I hope to offer products for all levels and stages and practices....keep reading my blog and visit often as new vendors sign on and new exciting products appear,  Many thanks and Peace.

0 comments: