About Me

Yoga With Style
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Friday, September 24, 2010

Fridays

On Fridays, because you know it's the end of the week, do you breathe a little easier?  Do you linger over your asanas a little longer and enjoy each pose a bit more because of your relaxed state of mind?  Monday's mind set is SO much different....the start of the work week for many, getting kids lunches ready and on the bus on time....many stressors start the week off.  Sunday evenings can sometimes be a downer in anticipation of Mondays.  How do we keep Friday's relaxed and relieved attitude all week long? 
I try to think about this when I am in my morning vinyasa class and my eyes veer to the clock - the dreaded clock - I have to look at it because I have to run to pick up my son at 12 noon sharp from nursery school on Fridays....the vinyasa flow just feels so great and I don't want to miss out on the end of class, my favorite part, but the clock is at 11:45 and school is 10 minutes away....and my mind veers from my practice......"Relax" I say to myself, "you'll make it and it's not like the teachers will sell our children on the street corner if we show up just a teensy bit late!!"  So my instructor senses my distraction and says "If your mind wanders, guide it back gently to your breath"....I do this and then we are all in Savasana, the final resting pose in yoga. This is the posture, commonly referred to as "corpse pose", that most yoga classes--from vinyasa to ashtanga to kundalini--end in. One of my favorite parts of my practice.  In Savasana, we are at peace and calm. Resting our minds and body, we let thoughts come in and float out naturally. We do not dwell on any one thought. We do not force thoughts out angrily or intentionally. Instead, just let them come and go without effort. 
Well the class ended in calmness, I did make it to get my son on time, and Friday continued as a peaceful fun day.  As I am blogging here I am reminded to do these things everyday - not just when we are most peaceful and relaxed, but when we find ourselves most stressed and uptight (ie. Mondays)  I find peace in remembering Savasana and turning Mondays into Fridays.  It's all in how we perceive and react to things is how our minds will be and how we can fill our days with peace.
If getting to class itself is a stressor, try a brief practice by dvd at home...in the middle of a crazy day, taking the time out to do this can make a huge difference... almost like a power nap on a cozy yoga blanket!  Enjoy

0 comments: