About Me

Yoga With Style
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Monday, September 20, 2010

Do you know the meaning of OM?


I’ve seen several people in my travels recently wearing some really pretty yoga-inspired jewelry, some with the OM symbol.  I wonder to myself, “Do they really know what OM means?”  So I thought I’d write about it.  I’ve been reading The Sivananda Companion to Yoga during my healing process from my hip injury.  They have the OM symbol perfectly defined.  To a yogi, no symbol is more powerful than the syllable OM, as witnessed by these words from the Mandukya Upanishad:  “OM: this eternal word is all; what was, what is and what shall be.”  In the Sanskrit letter the longer lower curve represents the dream state, the upper curve stands for the waking state and the curve issuing from the same center symbolizes deep, dreamless sleep.  The crescent shape stands for “maya”, the veil of illusion and the dot for the transcendental state.  When the individual spirit in man passes through the veil and rests in the transcendental he is liberated from the three states and their qualities. 
I really enjoying wearing my OM pendant (I have a sterling silver one with natural iolite beads stationed on the chain) knowing that there is so much symbolism behind it.
What does wearing an OM symbol mean for you?  I would love to hear your comments.  Don’t have one?  Please visit www.yogawithstyle.com and check out all the beautiful jewelry pieces we offer with the OM symbol.

0 comments: