About Me

Yoga With Style
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, November 6, 2010

Cleaning out - Aparigraha

I have been reading some meditations and some writings from various yoga books and such.  I came upon an essay that explained the meaning of APARIGRAHA, or non-hoarding, and it struck a chord with me.  Aparigraha, or non-hoarding, as mentioned is the "art of appreciating emptiness in one's life" (as quoted by Rolf Gates in Meditations from the Mat).  In yoga, we "practice aparigraha by letting go of our expectations and letting go of the concerns of the day", explains Rolf.  I so appreciate that opportunity when I practice yoga.  Being able to clean out my mind of the day's worries is so essential to me functioning effectively on a daily basis and makes such a difference in my overall mood and patience level.  I have to say this Fall I think I took this concept to another level and interpretation by physically cleaning out a lot of things in the house where we live - I had a huge stash of baby keepsakes from when my kids were infants - I had a tough time letting some of those things go as I kept them with the thought that "well, what if we have more children?" But now, that's not in our plans (although one cannot always plan these things right??!!!) so I was ready to give these things to charity.  I kept the handmade things that were heirlooms and it felt good to part with the rest.  I kept going....into old seasonal decorations....old household items from former homes....and on it went.  A carload of stuff was sent to charity.  I am from the school of thought that "if you don't use it, get rid of it and if you keep it, use it and enjoy it because you can't take this stuff with you when you're gone"  That may be morbid, but it helps me enjoy what I have - I don't save "special" things for a "special" occasion, because everyday is special.  That "occasion" may never come.  It has helped me rid myself and home of non-essentials and not get crazy if the kids sit on antique furniture....it doesn't matter.  Rid the mind of non-essentials and enjoy the moment.  These moments and things don't last forever.
Read Rolf Gate's Meditations from the Mat and other neat meditation titles in our Books category at Yoga With Style!

0 comments: